I don’t know about you but I’ve certainly felt an upward shift the past few weeks. With Australia opening up it feels as thought there is light at the end of the tunnel and business is finally shifting back into gear. So if we’re looking at 2021 finally hitting its stride – why am I already planning for 2022?
Quite simply – because that’s what my competitors are (or should) be doing.
Now I’m not one to follow someone else’s lead, but what I know to be true is that when it comes to planning – it’s important to start early.
By planning early we:
- Have the luxury of time to plan clearly with thought;
- Have space to tweak and improve upon what we’ve created;
- Have the ability to truely reflect on our performance and be honest (no matter how ugly that looks).
So what questions do I ask myself and reflect on when making plans for the following year?
- How was overall performance for the year?
- Were financial forecasts and budgets met? Were they realistic?
- What services were popular?
- What was most profitable?
- What do I want to achieve financially for 2022?
- Where are the roadblocks or friction in our delivery or execution?
- Do our deliverables need a refresh or updating? Are they looking a little tired?
- Is best practice being followed by everyone?
- Are clients being wowed with what we deliver?
- How else can we surprise and delight?
Systems and Technology
- Are we using all the tools we pay for?
- Are we using all the platform features available or do we need training?
- Can or should we be automating more?
- Are any automations not working or unnecessary?
- What else do we need from our technology?
- How has the team performed?
- Do they need additional training?
- Do they need additional resources?
- Can they find everything they need easily and quickly?
- How productive are we being?
- How productive am I daily and weekly?
- Am I completing what I commit to?
- Are there tasks I’m avoiding? Why?
- What additional training do I need?
- How am I showing up each day?
Once I’ve answered these questions honestly – I’ll then turn them into smart goals. My goals are then turned into actionable tasks (and added to Asana to track and manage) so that I can incrementally work towards achieving them.
How do you plan for the next year? I’d love to hear what you do and perhaps integrate into my process if you’re willing to share. Hit reply to get in touch.