There is no doubt that to be able to grow your service based business, at some stage you will need some help.
Yes we can automate things, yes we can streamline our processes but there will always come a time when you need support to execute your strategy and growth plan. You need someone to do the things.
For most service based business owners, the first layer of help they engage is admin based. So what can you do to manage this resource with ease?
Get your ducks in a row
Frequently I see business owners engage help *because they’re soooo busy* but haven’t defined exactly what or how they need help.
This only leads to confusion, frustration, mis trust and lost revenue.
Before you engage any type of help make sure you do the following:
Step 1: Identify what you need help with
Before rushing to seek help, take the time to clearly define your support requirements. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What are the tasks?
- What skills should the person have?
- What does success for these tasks look like?
Step 2: Clearly define the tasks you want completed
Once you’ve identified the tasks that require support, outline them in detail. Divide complex tasks into smaller, manageable components to ensure clarity. Consider the following tips:
- Identify which tasks (or part of tasks) they will complete
- Create how to videos of how you want the tasks done to ensure best practice is followed
- Complete the task yourself to make sure it makes sense
Step 3: Provide Ongoing Training and Support
As your business develops so will the expertise and skills you need in your business.
To support this your team, whether employed or outsources need training and support to grow with you.
- Provide outsourced training and workshops to level up their skills
- Offer online learning options
- Engage an OBM to manage and train
As Henry Fords said “The only thing worse than training your employees and having them leave is not training them and having them stay.”
Engaging and onboarding support in your business can and should take time. Investing in them will ensure they invest in you.